Ahhh….the goodness and hominess of Cream of Wheat!
And…milk and egg, sugar and vanilla!
I have been meaning to post this little recipe for a while (see date on milk). Go ahead, mock me…no…the pudding!
I know folks either love Cream of Wheat, can do with or without it…or maybe even hate it. Say what?
I happen to love the stuff! Around our house, raising kids…it was a staple!
On my trip up to Utah (see http://wp.me/p2e6iL-ih) I made some Cream of Wheat for breakfast for my Nieces and Nephews.
I got a big kick out of them asking me to make sure there were lumps in it! So….some of us…like takin’ our lumps! Remember the saying “if you don’t like it…lump it”? Well…we like to lump it…with Cream of Wheat, that is!
Since coming back to my home, here in the South, I have come across a fantastic recipe…I LOVE it! I was watching an episode of Sister Wives and they talked about the one dish that was most requested by the kids. It was…Mock Tapicoca Pudding…of all things!
I had to try it…and I am a fan! It is surprisingly good…but no lumps kids…just rich and creamy and delicious!
I did question why one would make this ‘mock’ pudding versus just making Tapioca! I believe the answer to that is…the Cream of Wheat version is probably more nutritious with a higher protein value. I still love Tapioca…but this is a great alternative…and hey… you can have it for breakfast or any ole’ time!
It is quite simple to make and, I think it is very homey…and that, after all, is my passion!
I found this recipe at Food.com.
Here is a link to their print recipe page:
Mock Tapioca Pudding
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup uncooked cream of wheat
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- prepared whipped topping, for garnish
- maraschino cherries, for garnish
- N0te: I didn’t use the whipped topping or cherries…and added a dash of nutmeg
- In a small bowl, with electric mixer at high speed, beat egg white until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat in 2 tablespoons of the sugar, and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Cover and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, mix together milk, 2 tablespoons of the sugar and egg yolk.
- Heat to a rapid boil, while stirring constantly.
- Slowly sprinkle in cereal, while continuing to stir briskly.
- Return to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 8 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer beaten egg whites to a medium size mixing bowl.
- Slowly pour hot mixture over egg whites, while stirring with a whisk.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Spoon pudding into 4 dessert dishes.
- Chill until serving time.
- Garnish with whipped topping and cherries if desired.
Enjoy…warm with a dash of cinnamon or nutmeg…or chilled!
‘Til we meet again…
Remember…sometimes you can like the lumps….
and sometimes you can smooth it out….
and…don’t forget the puddin’!
I just discovered that someone took one of the photos from my last post! I do ask that anyone ask permission before using (or taking) my photos. It was a picture of my husband’s birthday cake….now….that takes the cake, as they say! So…if you missed it (and it was a beauty)….here is the cake! And…it is my own recipe that I share with ya’ll! Gee…I hope whoever took the cake liked it!
Poppy’s Birthday Cake
(Vee’s Italian Cream Cake)
Takin’ my lumps! 🙂